Safe Sanctuaries in a Virtual World
Joy Thornberg Melton, Michelle Foster (Authors)
SAFE SANCTUARIES IN A VIRTUAL WORLD is a practical, easy to navigate book designed to assist leaders in safely and responsibly using different types of technology into daily ministry.
Here are some helpful online resources dealing with internet safety.
21st Century Sheep
Exploring Issues of Technology. Safety, and Ministry
The command to “Tend my Sheep” is one that persists through the ages. If we, as children’s ministers, are to tend the sheep of the 21st century it is important to know the issues our students and parents face and to understand the tools that are available to reach them.
This blog is authored by Paul OBriant, a United Methodist layperson from North Carolina and nationally recognized leader in the area of cyber safety.
Informational Children Online – an article from the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry children_online
WiredSafety.org is a 501(c) (3) charity and the largest and oldest online safety, education and help group in the world.
It began in 1995 as a group of volunteers rating websites. It now provides one-on-one help, extensive information and education to cyberspace users of all ages on a myriad of Internet and interactive technology safety issues.
Dr. Parry Aftab, executive director of WiredSafety, is a United Methodist layperson and a noted attorney specializing in cyber law.
Parents, caregivers, educators, government officials, law enforcement and youth organizations who want to learn more about the Internet and the possible dangers to children online should visit this site. Special pages for children and teens are available, as well as informational materials on blogging, cell phones, cyberbullying, social networking and more.
Internet Filtering Software
With the trends of today’s online community, keeping your kids safe on the internet has never been more challenging. Now, with the convenience and protection of Net Nanny’s internet filter software, you can be assured that your children will be protected from the things they don’t need to see while still being able to do what they need to. With the parental control tools provided by this internet filter, parents can feel comfortable knowing that what their children do on the internet is in their hands.
• Schedule Internet access
• Block MySpace, Facebook and other social networking sites
• Stop inappropriate chat and child predators
• Receive email and mobile alerts
• Stop illegal file sharing
• Monitor where your children are going online
Safe Eyes Parental Control Software Includes:
• Content Controls – Flexible content control allows you to select the types of website that are appropriate.
• Program Controls – Control Instant Messengers, P2P File Sharing, and other harmful programs.
• Time Controls – Control the amount of time spent online, and the times when the internet is available.
• Usage Logging – Create and review logs of websites visited, programs used on the Internet, and Instant Messaging Chats.
• Usage Alerts – Be notified instantly via email, text message, or phone call when someone visits inappropriate websites.
• Complete Customizable Blocking
• Block objectionable adults only content.
• Block social networking, on line games, and other content you feel inappropriate, all the time, or on a schedule you define.
• Record emails sent and received.
• Record Facebook chat and posts.
• Blocks phishing, malicious and dangerous web sites.
• Ensures kids don’t accidentally click on pornography or malware links. Provide a Good Study Environment
• Only allow access to “fun” web sites like social networking, games and entertainment on days and at times you approve.
• Prevent kids from getting sidetracked during homework times. Family and User Friendly
• Allows complete customization for each user.
• Easiest product to install and manage, even for novice users.
• Fully self contained. Does not require any on-line account setup.
• CYBERsitter is non-intrusive and is also great for adults and seniors.
Web Filtering For Any Environment
The Internet can be a great resource for families, businesses and educators. Unfortunately, it also contains things that are inappropriate or even dangerous.
Whether its offensive web sites, cyberbullies or maybe just ‘too much Internet’ CyberPatrol gives you the tools you need. We have led the way in Parental Controls software for fifteen years and continue to look for new and better ways to protect people online in the home, office and school or library.
• Classic Parental Controls
Offers standard features including web filtering, time management, program control and more.
• Enhanced Parental Controls
Block bad web sites, enforce safe search, monitor for cyber bullies, receive instant alerts and more.
* * *
Have a resource that we should list on this site? E-mail email@example.com with the details.