Human Sexuality Education
“We recognize the continuing need for full, positive, age-appropriate and factual sex education opportunities for children, young people, and adults.
“The Church offers a unique opportunity to give quality guidance and education in this area. . .”
— From The United Methodist Book of Discipline, ¶161, The Nurturing Community, Section G, Human Sexuality
Created by God
Created By God is a Human Sexuality Workshop for 5th & 6th graders. It seeks to
- affirm growth and change as part of God’s plan for life
- recognize and celebrate human sexuality as a good gift of God
- suggest guidelines for love-filled relationships
- challenge young people to assume responsibility for making wise choices
- open the lines of communication between parent and child
For more information about:
- how to teach the information within your own congregation;
- hosting a Created by God workshop in your local congregation led by a certified leader; or
- becoming certified to lead Created by God workshops.
Contact Certified Created by God Leaders:
- Liz Wright at MizLizemail@example.com – St. Paul UMC in Little Rock
- Karen Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org – Central UMC in Rogers
- John Shirron at email@example.com – Cabot UMC in Cabot
- Sally Ware at firstname.lastname@example.org – First UMC in Ft. Smith
- Sadie Wohlfhart at email@example.com – First UMC in Bentonville
- Pam Lentz, Director of Children’s Ministries at Conway First UMC at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click the links in blue below to download brochures about Created by God including current bios of our Arkansas leaders.
Created by God Curriculum
Created by God Student Book: Tweens, Faith, and Human Sexuality
James H. Ritchie (Author)
Abingdon Press (January 2010)
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions About Created by God
What is the schedule for the workshops?
Although schedules can vary depending on what your church works out with the workshop leader, a typical workshop includes:
- Approximately one week prior to the children’s sessons: parent and group leaders session – two hours – mandatory
- Friday evening: three hours – 5th & 6th grade students only
- Saturday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. – 5th & 6th graders students only
- Parents are encouraged to join their children at 5 p.m.
What other expenses are there for the workshops?
- Supplies: Created by God books for each child; paper, markers, etc., as used by the leader (minimal cost)
- Snacks for each session
- Lunch on Saturday
Do churches charge fees for the workshops? What if our church is small and the cost is too great to do a workshop?
Yes, some churches charge a registration fee (from $20-$40) to offset the cost of the workshop. Smaller churches are encouraged to work with other churches in the area – United Methodist or ones of similar denominations to share workshops and expenses. Also, invite friends of the children to attend.
What if children’s council/team and/or parents are nervous about teaching about human sexuality in the church and having this workshop?
- Look at the Created by God curriculum/student book at a meeting together.
- Have members from the children’s council observe a workshop at another church.
- Encourage parents to attend the mandatory Parent Meeting where all the information is provided. Background information including reasons for the need as well as covering the exact outline for which the children will be exposed in additon to a time for parents to asked questions and share concerns.
- Ask for references from other parents who have previously.had children experience this workshop
Our kids are so busy and/or probably won’t want to attend, how do we get them to come?
It’s up to the parents to have the children come – parents make the decision for the children.
Help the parents know how important it is that kids get acurate, honest and biblically based information from the church in this safe, nurturing setting and it needs to be a priority over other weekly activities.
Remind them that a child will never remember missing that one other extra-curricular activity, and this is their opportunity to use the Created by God workshop as a springboard to talking openly about human sexuality with his/her child for the rest of his/her life.
Article: Church, Preadolescents, and Sexuality Education: Moving from Recognition to Response
Article: Sex and the Church — Talking to Young People
Article: Created by God Program Targets Pre-teens — and Parents
Article: Close Up: Churches Address Touchy Topic of Sex Education